Friday, December 7, 2007

Yes, boy, I could sure go for some beef stew and a chicken bone. That's it.

The last words of Ohio's latest execution victim.

In other Ohio news, Sherrod Brown voted for the Iraq funding bill, I'm a little disappointed in him for that, but I suppose it's only funding the war through September.

Also this week, a reverend who has served time for armed robbery and manslaughter was found guilty of stealing $1.4M from the state for reporting a charter school he founded had more than four times as many students as were actually enrolled. I guess you don't have to pass a background check to found a school that is funded with public money in Ohio, which is strange because my mom had to have one when she served as a consultant to the library at the catholic high school in my home town.

As a former public school teacher, in a district that has lost 20,000 students in the last decade, many to charter schools, I have to say this isn't really shocking. I know there are great charter schools, but on a whole they underperform the public schools in the same neighborhoods, and have a history of corruption. The state of Ohio still allows charter schools that receive public money to operate for profit.

No comments: