Friday, December 7, 2007

Watching Vermont

This is the weekly music pick, so keep reading, or just skip to the link, your call.

We were in Cincinnati at this time last year, well, I was pretty much in bed.

I had slipped into my deepest depression, Danielle's parents and her grandparents came to visit for a weekend, I only saw her mom, and not until they were leaving. When they were gone I heard there had been some talk of anointing me with holy water, I'm not into that sort of thing.

A typical day might have seen me out of bed for a couple hours. It's all lost time, and I'm starting to worry I'm losing it again.

Ohio's a crazy state. The southeast is squarely in Appalachia. Without traveling the back roads around it, I don't think it's possible to understand the sort of poverty that still exists there, the sorts of lives people lead there. I couldn't find a date, but this Appalachian picture is recent:



I think I missed a lot of the great things in Cincinnati. We discovered local artist Charlie Harper (his work below), an excellent south Indian restaurant, and maybe our favorite pastry shop in The Bonbonerie, but due to my own depression, we missed a lot of the local music scene, including The Great Depression. Watching Vermont is my pick of the three songs they have posted.



All and all, I'm really happy to be back in Cleveland. I think dying midwestern industrial cities are right up my alley.

No comments: