Friday, December 7, 2007

We were married in San Francisco, at City Hall, actually. Maybe that means nothing to you, or

We were married in San Francisco, at City Hall actually. Maybe that means nothing to you, or maybe you remember the month or so during which time the mayor of SF performed and allowed gay marriages in the city despite state law, or much less likely, The Wedding Planner. I'm not sure if J-Lo offers to arrange a wedding there, or gets married there, but there's something to do with weddings and city hall in it. It really is a beautiful place, one of the modern wonders of the world.

We didn't have a witness, but we did decide we should have a photographer. Before the ceremony, she made a little small talk, and at one point offered "I bet you're a sensitive guy".

I am a sensitive guy. A few weeks after Danielle and I first kissed, I started having weird convulsions after kisses. We had doctor's orders to make out during medical tests, and at first it seemed that kissing Danielle had an electrical impact (seizure activity) on my brain, but that later proved not to be true.

I'm sensitive to a lot of things, as far as setting off the tics (they're more related to Tourette's). I think in order of discovery, it was certain physical contact, not just lips, but also having my feet touched by a balding emergency room doctor with slurred speech. The sound of fingers snapping, watching someone's eyes blink, standing next to appliances giving off heat, sitting under air conditioning vents, the smell I associate with frat boys (walking past an Abercrombie & Fitch), the smell of chemical cleaners, getting into a car that's sat in the sun, and so on.

I'm not sure where all of this started, at times I suspect it is related to a chemical spill near where I was born, when I was in elementary school. I've spent sleepless nights researching the spill recently, the Ohio EPA has no records of it, though I could find articles about it on the Washington Post's website.

This isn't really going where I thought it would, I wanted to write about Whole Foods' body wash. It comes in a few flavors, we always bought peppermint, but recently got a bottle of citrus. I was skeptical that it would send me twitching, but it didn't. It also doesn't take upwards of three hundred years to biodegrade like some other shower gels. The citrus smells a little like the taste of a mouthful mismatched Jelly Bellies, I recommend it.

My troubles with twitches really started with a new job a few years ago...I had been teaching in the inner city of Cleveland, I split time between two schools, of which I had a love/hate relationship. After two years, I decided I had to get out of one of them, and talked the principal of a new model small high school to create a position for me. For the first year, I taught instrumental music with a dry erase board, and in the second year, I got instruments for a third of the kids I would see, which happened to be about the same amount as would fit in my room as class sizes went from being capped to 15, to as many as 47 in my case.

In the words of my overly effeminate former student who was shot in the elbow at school today, my brain went from being lightweight crazy to the super heavyweight champion of the world while working there, and I lay most of the blame on the place. It offered few opportunities for feeling successful, despite being horribly misnamed SuccessTech (I once accidentally sent an email cleverly calling it SuckcessTech to all my colleagues, principal included).

I'm not sure what I really think of the situation today, a lot of the school district's short comings were highlighted, or rather, will be soon when it's discovered that the metal detectors that the students don't actually pass through don't even pick up things like the handfuls of music stands I've carried past them...that despite the number one stated goal of the district being the students' safety, the district moved the building's only security guard from the floors with hundreds of students, to the floors where a handful of low level administrators worked, despite parent petitions urging the district otherwise.

Ultimately I'm thankful all the injuries were all superficial save the shooter (I had his older brother and fellow Dennison Street Boys gang member in class), but maybe even more, I'm disappointed that there will be another discussion of gun control, with no steps taken to get handguns out of the hands of a 14 year old kids.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I wanted to know if by any chance you would be interested in doing an unbiased review of our product.

If you agree we will send you a product sample so that you can try it and then write a review about it.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thank you