Friday, December 7, 2007

A Covert Class War

I spent a part of the morning in the parking lot of the United Labor Workers office. Danielle is a finalist for a job there that offers experience in all aspects of non-profit administration, we should find out in the next day or two.

I didn't think about taking a book until I was nearly out the door, and didn't go back for one. A couple years ago Danielle ran down our car battery while I was in an interview, and weary of doing the same, I only sporadically listened to NPR. The discussion was immigration.

I have to say, of all the issues that are dominating politics at the moment, this is perhaps the one I know the least about, or rather, I know the least about why people have such strong feelings against immigration, and why amnesty seems to be such a dirty word.

What I've gathered is that a lot of people don't like the idea of having to pay for a public education, or health care for immigrants. What I don't understand is why they would rather pay for the public education and health care of a citizen performing the same work at roughly the same pay (I realize that illegal immigrants are often taken advantage of).

I also don't understand how many of these people so angry about immigration are also opposed to a minimum wage increase, or making companies who have profits in the billions every year treat their employees responsibly.

I guess if a class war is taboo, then these are the lines that it will be fought on.

No comments: