Friday, December 7, 2007

Special English, fuzz, Revolution Records

I just googled Chinaphile and more than 1,700 pages came up, so I guess it's safe to call myself that. If there's a term that rolls of the tongue more easily, let me know. Well, let me know if that term isn't Chinophile, the first search result for that is a site dedicated to 'leisure slacks'.

I think those three sentences are better than what I was going to have them preface, so I'll just leave it at the latest book I've picked up seems to have been written in special English. I made it one chapter, but I need beautiful wording too much to keep going.

The fuzz from the subject line is about the layer of it I think I want surrounding the next recordings we make.

I think we may be very close to booking studio time for Danielle's and my parts. I've had a few different song cycles (to borrow from art music) in my head for a while, but the most realized are adaptions of Richard Brautigan poems, two of which have been posted here for some time. I made requests for permission to use the words, but haven't heard anything in three or four months, maybe more, but tonight I think I discovered the golden ticket, and hopefully will know what I need to know very shortly.

The songs are important enough to me that I think I'd go into the studio without the rights. I could end up somewhere between Keith Green giving albums away and The Verve being sued by The Rolling Stones, but I'd be happy just seeing the songs through.

I had a little free time on the east side today. My plan was to look for used copies of Elliott Smith's Figure 8 and Sloan's Navy Blues. It would have been the third time I bought each of them, but Revolution Records was closed for a renovation. In particular, I wanted to hear the drum sounds on Everything Means Nothing to Me again, and listen to Andrew Scott's Gretsch, again.

I did end up with a copy of Super Furry Animals' Phantom Power. It's kind of funny how much I obsess over words, yet it wasn't until the 8th track that I decided to listen to see if the album was in English.

No comments: