Monday, December 10, 2007

Taking the Easy Way Out

This is my music pick blog, I'm a little late.

Everything in the works has all of a sudden become a bit more of reality in the past week. On Thursday, Danielle and I toured a local studio, the main tracking room was built in the 1940's by a radio station for the era's big bands to perform live broadcasts from. A couple decades later The Beatles played in it.

I know those responsible for designing acoustically sound rooms know a lot more today than they knew then. I'm certainly not one to decry science, nor am I going to expect a better performance from myself given the history of the room. I think in the end, from a production/engineering standpoint, I just like the recordings of yesteryear best. <

I've been a little consumed with recording lately - aside from trying to track down various songs and albums that I want to use as reference points for the sounds I'm hoping for, I've been trying to attend to a lot of other things, from preproduction sequencing of parts, to having a new saddle made for my acoustic, which until this past Sunday was a really crazy adjustable piece of wood that I knew could be sonically improved upon.

So maybe picking a band on Sub Pop isn't completely fitting with the idea for this blog, but here it is. The Handsome Furs Hate This City. It isn't something I'd try to emulate in the studio, there's nothing to read into it, I just like it.

No comments: