Friday, September 26, 2008

$700,000,000.000.00, or getting richer, quicker?

I like Woody Guthrie. I'd probably like riding around in box cars, and even in times of prosperity, cooking beans over a campfire appeals to me, but I'm not saying 'bring on the depression'.

That said, I can't get behind this bailout yet, and I'm not sure any amount of details will change that, because I'm not sure new rules could be implemented in a way that fundamentally changes how business works.

As I understand it, we're in the situation not because of simple greed, but because of complex greed. The more I read, the more it seems that Wall Street operates on the same principles as the 'no money down real estate' schemers that run infomercials in the middle of the night.

The companies we're trying to save seem to have an atrocious history of trying to make money out of money where nothing else exists. They're not investing in people or business, they're not investing in anything that helps society.

We've built a financial industry where we can sell stocks that we don't own, that we can control massively more commodities than we can afford to purchase, that we can hedge our investment gambles with insurance policies on them.

I for one am beginning to believe we need to invest that money in something real, real jobs, real education, real energy solutions, real health care, real infrastructure, and not just grease the squeaky wheels of a financial system that seems to be most concerned with making the rich richer.

2:25 PM - 0 Comments - 0 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit -

No comments: